Please review the following standards for scheduling site-based courses and awarding academic credit:
- A maximum of 3 credits may be awarded in a seven-day week
- A maximum 8 contact hours may be awarded per day
Approved Minimum Standard:
- 1 credit: two days' instruction
- 2 credits: three days' instruction
- 3 credits: five consecutive days' instruction
- 3 credits: four non-consecutive days' instruction
- 4 credits: five days of non-consecutive instruction, not within a seven-day week
- 5 credits: seven days of non-consecutive instruction, not within a seven-day week
When you consider the above parameters, note that five minutes of break time are included in each instructional hour. Breaks may be taken hourly or accrued up to four hours and taken all at once, but they are not to be included as lunchtime.
Federal laws require 30 minutes be provided for lunch if there are six or more instructional hours in a single day, and that lunchtime must be provided in addition to instructional time. Schedule lunchtime separately from your students' break time.
If you are hoping to offer academic credit for a course that meets in person for just one day, you will need to add additional academic engagement time into the course syllabus through an activity such as a webinar or an online discussion group.