Course DescriptionParticipants in this course will learn the history of the LGBTQ movement, key terminology, how preconception and discrimination impact the LGBTQ community and review strategies for fostering LGBTQ-inclusivity in schools. Participants will examine myths and perceptions, as well as curriculum and best practices associated with LGBTQ students. Participants will be provided multiple opportunities to engage in discussions and activities that refine and define strategies and practices focusing on meeting the comprehensive needs of LGBTQ students.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
1. Identify myths and perceptions relating to LGBTQ
2. Design teaching strategies and lessons that include LGBTQ perspectives
3. Understand how to support parents and stakeholders around LGBTQ inclusivity and creating safe spaces for all students
4. Identify strategies to promote understanding between LGBTQ students and their peers, parents, and school
This is specific for technology or online course.
• Computer with word processing software
• Internet access connection
• Software capable of reading PDF files
• Software capable of viewing PowerPoint presentations