Course DescriptionThis course is designed to give educators at all levels an overview of recent research on mindfulness practices and to provide step-by-step guidance on how to integrate these practices into the classroom. Participants in this course will learn what mindfulness is, why it is important, and how to creatively apply research-based mindfulness techniques in meeting the diverse learning needs of students. Attention will also be given to ways educators can use mindfulness to enhance their own professional and personal experience as teachers.
Learner OutcomesUpon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of key concepts in the theory and research of mindfulness in general, and classroom mindfulness in particular.
- Analyze how current findings in fields as diverse as neuroplasticity, meditation, social and emotional learning (SEL) and the psychology of gratitude can be incorporated into classroom mindfulness paradigms.
- Become conversant in ways teachers are using mindfulness and subsidiary concepts to lessen the effects of stress and improve the quality and atmosphere
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
- Software capable of viewing and creating PowerPoint presentations