Course DescriptionThis course is designed to help K-12 teachers navigate the ever-growing complexities of the education profession while simultaneously helping them to balance their lives and careers. Teachers will learn the tenets of Positive Psychology (Seligman) and related theories and strategies. These, in turn, will provide the foundation for increasing personal and professional resilience, maintaining flexibility, and tending to physical and mental health as a basis to improve classroom experiences for all.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Analyze current personal state of well-being, and through awareness and training develop a plan for improvement.
- Develop a personal mission statement and foundation for teaching.
- Examine current major trends in education and evaluate how they integrate into the field and classroom.
- Explore skills for ongoing development of resiliency as a means for enhanced growth within the field and improved classroom environment and instruction.
- Maximize personal reflection and communities of practice in support of personal and professional growth.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files