Course DescriptionThis course is designed for grade 6-12 mathematics educators and district mathematics curriculum directors interested in integrating technology into mathematics instruction in order to maximize student achievement. Participants will examine and evaluate software packages and tools, Web resources, and other instructional materials used to integrate technology into mathematics instruction. Additionally, the management and assessment of online learning environments and the Flipped Class model will be discussed.
Learner OutcomesBy the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Examine approaches used in the standards-based mathematics classroom.
- Evaluate the Common Core Mathematical Practices and explore infusion within daily lessons.
- Appraise technologies appropriate to the specific content areas within the Common Core Standards.
- Employ the use of technology in mathematical representations and communication towards
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
NOTE: Additional software will be used, but will either be free and open-source, trial versions, or readily available software on most systems. TI calculators may be very useful for secondary or post-secondary teachers to have for the course. Technologies chosen by each teacher for assignments will be based on the individual needs of the teacher’s classroom. The instructor will work closely with each teacher to assist in determining the appropriate technologies that can be useful in various settings.