Course DescriptionThis course is designed to provide K-12 educators an understanding of the ELA Common Core Standards in the disciplines: History/Social Science, Science, and
Technical (HST). Participants of this course will learn what the ELA HST standards are, what it means to be “literate” in each of the disciplines, and how to create such
literacies. Most significantly, participants will learn teaching strategies to embrace the new HST ELA standards.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Understand the definition of “Disciplinary Literacy” and its relationship with the ELA Common Core Standards in History/Social Science, Science, and Technical subjects.
- Know and understand the literacy standards specific to History/Social Science, Science, and Technical Subjects in the ELA Common Core Standards.
- Understand the necessity and practice of close reading in the disciplines.
- Gain knowledge of the concepts of academic vocabulary.
- Explore the significance of being able to read and use visual representations in the disciplines.
- Recognize the importance of utilizing primary sources in the disciplines to strengthen the reading and understanding of disciplinary principles.
- Consider credibility of sources for building disciplinary understanding.
- Explore critical thinking skills necessary in each of the disciplines.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
NOTE: Additional software will be used, but will either be free and open-source or trial versions, and will be based on the individual needs of each teacher’s online setting. The instructor will work closely with each teacher to assist in determining the appropriate software.