Course DescriptionThis course provides educators with the skills for effective online teaching. It will include types of online teaching, concepts and structures of effective lesson creation and online instruction, technologies and strategies that support student engagement and increased learning, how to create and facilitate online communities, meeting content standards within an online classroom, and implementing formative assessments as a means to enhance online instruction.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Recognize and appraise the impact of trends and types of online learning and employ current related standards to improve student learning.
- Examine and describe an effective online course and lesson component.
- Evaluate major technologies for creating activities for engagement and teaching online.
- Develop relevant learning experiences and assessments that incorporate emerging technologies in an online classroom.
- Develop a plan for online teaching and building community within the online classroom.
- Collaborate with other educational professionals regarding various technologies with the intention of improving student engagement and learning.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
NOTE: Additional software will be used, but will either be free and open-source or trial versions, and will be based on the individual needs of each teacher’s online setting. The instructor will work closely with each teacher to assist in determining the appropriate software.