Course DescriptionThis course is designed to provide an understanding of 6-12 Common Core State Standards, including the history of the standards, as well as the biggest shifts from current instructional practice. Most significantly, participants will learn teaching strategies to embrace the new ELA standards, with a particular focus on strengthening classroom practice in the biggest shift areas from old to new standards, and aligning to the tasks of the new assessments.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Understand the belief systems that brought the Common Core standards into place.
- Understand the format and contents of the ELA Common Core document in grade bands 6-12.
- Understand the factors inherent in determining text complexity.
- Understand the necessity and practice of close reading in middle and high school students.
- Consider the components of disciplinary literacy and academic literacy and create atmospheres and activities for disciplinary literacy and academic vocabulary to flourish across the 6-12 curriculums.
- Recognize the importance of, and encourage the use of text-dependent questions and answers.
- Strengthen the balance of informational and literary texts in current 6-12 reading programs and curriculums.
- Encourage writing from sources in all types of media, and to use research in the writing process.
- Learn the components of argument writing.
- Explore and redefine literacy for the 21st century.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files