This course is designed to enhance a participant’s knowledge of assessment and grading practices. The following themes will be investigated: formative assessment, summative assessment, learning targets and outcomes, methods of assessing, types of assessment protocols, grading practices, providing feedback, and defining mastery. This course prepares teachers by providing them with the essential elements needed to translate assessment of learning to assessment for learning.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Examine the keys to quality classroom assessment.
- Explore methods and pedagogy of assessment for and of learning.
- Understand the purpose of grades and the need to communicate student learning.
- Investigate the nature of grades and principles of successful assessment.
- Devise a classroom assessment plan to maximize student learning.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
Educators enrolled in the course are required to hold a baccalaureate degree.