Course DescriptionThis course is designed to help teachers understand school law as it pertains to the rights of students, the rights of teachers, and the legal expectations of today’s public schools, thereby improving their effectiveness. Participants in this course will develop an overall sense of the spirit of school law so that they may not only teach students to become good citizens, but also to ensure that their rights are protected in the educational process. In addition, participants will learn about their rights as government employees regarding Freedom of Speech and employment issues.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Understand the basic foundation upon which school law is built.
- Utilize classroom practices that ensure student rights.
- Adhere to the Establishment Clause in school policies and practices.
- Recognize the rights of employees and employers in school settings.
- Develop an understanding of federal laws as they ensure civil rights.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files