Course DescriptionThis course is intended for K-12 educators seeking ways to expand their teaching expertise by applying outdoor education skills and awareness as a means to improve student learning. Educators will be provided with opportunities to explore and make sense of current research and to become confident in their abilities to utilize the outdoors as they plan lessons within their curricular areas.
By the conclusion of the course, each participant should be able to do the following:
- Analyze how their upbringing differed from that of today’s youth by identifying experiences in their lives that are uncommon among children today.
- Assess how outdoor education can benefit student learning.
- Explore types of outdoor education and determine their value across curricular areas.
- Understand basic foundations of environmental education.
- Create an environmental lesson or unit which encompasses the major principles and research important to outdoor education.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files