EDCT 5392 - Understanding and Using the New English Language Proficiency Standards to Support ELLs
One of the most exciting things about the English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards is that they enable both ESL/ELD teachers and content-area teachers to collaborate in supporting the academic and language development needs of English Language Learners (ELLs) in meeting college and career ready standards. Language development is no longer just the responsibility of the ESL/ELD teacher. These new standards offer a common language for ESL/ELD teachers and content-area teachers to best support ELLs. This course is designed to take an in depth look at the new ELP standards and how they can be used to support ELLs in content-area classrooms as well as how they can be used to collaborate with ELD teachers in helping students meet the new rigorous Common Core State Standards. This course will help give you the tools needed to fuel the academic performance of English Language Learners.
This course will enable participants to:
- Reflect upon their own teaching practices with ELL students.
- Apply Best Practices to their teaching and learning instruction.
- Take an in depth look at the English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards.
- Think critically about and evaluate strategies for supporting ELLs students in the classroom.
- Read and reflect on articles and supplemental material.
All of the resources in the articles, as well as in the class in general, will be a go-to set of tools for my toolbox this year and beyond.
---Summer 2017 Student