Course DescriptionA course that empowers social studies teachers to blend philosophical questioning with their content area to inspire critical thinking. Teachers create compelling questions and make a digital portfolio of lesson artifacts modeled after recommendations from the Inquiry Arc of the C3 Framework for Social Studies. Teachers walk away with meaningful evidence for their personal evaluation plans and membership to an online community of teachers sharing questions and lessons developed from the course.
Learner OutcomesUpon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
1. Formulate compelling and supporting questions to guide lesson and unit planning.
2. Develop a professional portfolio of 12 artifacts which demonstrate inquiry-based teaching.
3. Understand the recommendations of Dimension 1 of the C3 Framework for Social Studies; specifically, the Inquiry Arc. http://www.socialstudies.org/c3/implementingforleaders
4. Participate in an online community of teachers located at www.livinglibrary.org who are sharing artifacts and teaching experiences.
- Computer with word processing software
- Internet access connection
- Online video viewing capabilities/Adobe flash player
- Software capable of reading PDF files
- Software capable of viewing PowerPoint presentations
All participants must have a computer with Internet access available for the duration of the course. It is the responsibility of the participant to contact the instructor as soon as possible about technical difficulties that may arise during the course and to make reasonable accommodations.