EDMA 5820 - System Dynamics Modeling 3: Building Models From the News
Course DescriptionSystem Dynamics (SD) modeling is a method of analyzing systemic problems by using icons to represent elements of the system and arrows to represent the interconnection of the elements. The visual nature of the software allows a broad audience of students access to the analysis of complex systems behavior
and an opportunity to explain the behavior. Teachers of math, science (including sustainability), social science, health, economics, and technology will learn to create original models that will give them experience about the elements necessary to design lessons requiring student to build original models in their classes. This course is intended to provide instruction for teachers who want to continue to learn about the System Dynamics (SD) modeling method so they can learn to build original models and then teach their students to build original models appropriate for their discipline. The SD modeling method has been successfully used with students at the levels specified above, for over 20 years. Teachers will select a topic for their model, build a working model, write a short paper explaining their model and make a presentation explaining their model.
- Session 1: Review of Digital Communication Tools and Review of Course 1 and Course 2 Concepts
- Session 2: Information and Material Delays; Supply and Demand Model
- Session 3: Verification and Validation; Pollution Model
- Session 4: Building a Stock/Flow Diagram From a News Article
- Session 5: Starting the Research for Your Team Project; Policy Testing; Urban Growth Model
- Session 6: Building the Model for Your Team Project; Start Fishbanks Activity
- Session 7: Draft of Project Model Due; Finish Fishbanks Activity
- Session 8: Correct Project Model; Complete Model testing; Build Fishbanks Model
- Session 9: Determine Potential Successful Policies for Project Model; Policy Testing with Fishbanks; Video Presentation Specified
- Session 10: Video Presentation Due; Demonstration of C-Roads Climate Change Simulation
NotesIt is expected that the participant will be a current or future teacher at the high school, community college, or undergraduate university level.
EDMA 5819 " System Dynamics Modeling: Advanced" or
- Experience building System Dynamics (SD) models containing at least 2 – 3 stocks
- The ability to design and apply a dimensionless multiplier in an SD model
- The ability to define consistent units and identify and explain feedback in an SD model; 4. to understand the meaning of transfer of loop dominance.