Course DescriptionThe course is designed to take an in-depth look at methods and strategies used to conduct effective classroom novel study units. Students will examine their own practices with teaching novels and the practices of effective teachers of literacy. During the course they will create a novel unit based on the use of quality pre-reading, during reading and after reading questions, explicit vocabulary, journaling, text connections and a novel assessment. They will be encouraged to share their own instructional successes and challenges in the area of literacy as they work through the process of creating a novel study unit.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Reflect on their own literacy teaching practices and set goals for their teaching.
- Apply Best Practices to their teaching and learning instruction.
- Plan lessons that incorporate research based strategies.
- Investigate the interwoven nature of standards and assessment.
- Think critically about and evaluate literacy programs available to teachers.
- Develop a unit of study for use in the classroom.
NotesParticipants will need Internet access and a middle level novel to read for creating novel study lessons.
Thanks so much! I appreciate your feedback, and it has been wonderful to feel prepared for the unit... I started it today!
---Winter 2016 Student
Thank you for an engaging and thoughtful class.
---Summer 2015 Student
I am so excited to use this with my students this spring!
---Winter 2015 Student