Get inspired and bring joy into your classroom by engaging your students in projects focused on their self-selected passions. Learn how to implement these high-impact projects in your own classroom through the 6 easy-to-follow steps outlined by McNair in her quick-read Genius Hour: Passion Projects that Ignite Innovation and Student Inquiry - Passion, Plan, Pitch, Project, Product, and Presentation. These projects are known by many names: Genius Hour, Passion Projects, 20% Time, but they have one thing in common: students taking charge of their learning by exploring their passions. Through this course you will reflect on your current practice, develop your own plan for Genius Hour, and implement Genius Hour in your classroom. You can do it! Use the easy-to-follow steps laid out in McNair’s book along with the assignments in this course for a fun and engaging experience for both you and your students. Grades K-12.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the benefits and the basics of implementing Genius Hour
- Reflect on current practice
- Understand the importance of 21st Century skills and how the 4 Cs support developing these skills.
- Understand the importance of implementing projects in steps - passion, plan, pitch project, product, and presentation.
- Tips and tricks for Genius Hour Success
- Implementing Genius Hour
- Action Plan