Boys differ from girls in the reading materials they choose. This class is an independent exploration of how to turn reluctant males into enthusiastic readers. You will navigate resource rich websites and discover how to find reading materials that appeal to boys. You will evaluate, select, and add titles to your program with a focus on informational texts, biographies, graphic novels, magazines, etc. Upon completion of this course you will have researched and designed literature-based activities that are ready for immediate use in your reading program. Grades K-8
Learner OutcomesParticipants will:
- Become familiar with the newest research on why boys have a harder time choosing reading material than girls do.
- Gather ideas for using the best in informational texts, biographies, fiction and other areas of reading to interest males of all ages and abilities.
- Understand techniques for creating and managing a literature-rich classroom environment for all genders.
- Identify the characteristics and qualities of good children's literature.
- Find out how the Internet can be a valuable resource in learning about books that interest boys.
- Gain knowledge of the outstanding range of Web sites that promotes literature for males.
- Survey books used in the classroom and library and assess goals for creating a climate of understanding and appreciation for diverse cultures and ethnic heritages.
- Establish a community of readers through shared experiences.
Testimonials“This class was a good reminder that sometimes boys need an extra push to find their path as readers. The resources were helpful and I was reminded that boys benefit from a variety of genres and types of texts.”—TINT Student
“These self-paced multi-media exploration classes help me dive into the material in such a personally meaningful way. The choice board allows me to focus on domains of my interest under the general premise of the subject and essentially let me create the course I want to take.”—TINT Student
“Thank you, again, for the opportunity and creative license to learn! Your self-paced exploration menus are very UDL!”—TINT Student