Green chemistry is a useful tool to remove hazards and make the lab a safer place for students, while also providing context for chemistry concepts. This course will focus on the principles of green chemistry, chemical hazard awareness, lab safety, pollution prevention techniques and real world sustainable innovations. Taught by Beyond Benign’s staff and Lead Teacher team of high school teachers participants will receive hands-on experience and open-access resources designed for teachers and by teachers.
After completing this course, the participants will be able to:
- Define green chemistry.
- Apply green chemistry principles with their own lab practices.
- Give examples of how green chemistry is being used in industry to make the world more sustainable.
- Incorporate green chemistry replacement labs with their students.
- Reduce their use/generation of chemicals of concern in their classroom.
- Communicate green chemistry concepts and connections to their students.