The news media, parents, teachers, and students often speculate if homework is meaningful and whether the pros outweigh the cons. In this class, you will learn about the history of homework and how the diverse make-up of families can impact a student’s ability to keep up. What is the solution? What type of homework and how much is actually beneficial? Read the Textbook, Rethinking Homework: Best Practices that Support Diverse Needs by Vatterott, complete meaningful and practical assignments at your own pace and you will ready to design a plan that works! Grades K-12.
By the end of the course students will know:
- The history of homework in the US.
- Why many of the current homework practices are not working for teachers, students and families.
- What research tells us about the benefits and pitfalls of homework.
- Effective homework practices.
- How teachers and schools can help students succeed.