In this course, you will do a deep exploration of multicultural/diverse literature and become familiar with numerous children’s book. You will learn strategies for evaluating and selecting books. You will gain an understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures through children’s literature and how to share that with students. Upon completion of this course, you will have created a biography of useful titles and planned lessons that are ready for immediate use.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Read and demonstrate an understanding of the different genres of children’s literature with an emphasis on picture books and multicultural and international literature.
- Understand and appreciate diverse cultures through children’s literature and be able to share that with students.
- Describe the benefits of listening, reading aloud and independent reading of literature in the classroom.
- Critique children’s literature and select appropriate books for children at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels that also reflect the diversity of our world and that can be used throughout the curriculum.
- Conduct research on and share knowledge of notable children’s authors and their contribution to children’s literature.
- Develop strategies and design lessons to integrate literature across the curriculum.