Building upon the SPU produced film series, “Faith & Co: Serving Employees”, this continuing education course re-imagines (through the lens of Christian theology) how business ought to engage with employees. The course makes extensive use of evocative short story films, interviews with executives and subject matter experts. Students will be inspired to challenge (and rethink) some of the taken-for-granted assumptions about human nature that are built into our normal business practices. They will be challenged to “deconstruct” current management models and bring a theologically-informed mindset to the practice of managing people. This course encourages participants to live into the redemptive reality revealed in scripture. It will highlight stories of practitioners who are implementing biblical truth in their companies. Faith & Co films highlight practitioners who have thought deeply about some of these issues and wrestled with the practicalities of actually putting them into practice.
Session 1: Brokenness and the Redemptive transformation of business
Session 2: Formation: working in the Image of God (Imago Dei)
Session 3: Hiring employees: Selection, Placement & Coaching
Session 4: Keeping employees: Motivation & Turnover
Session 5: Firing employees: Lay-offs
Session 6: Developing employees
Session 7: Involving employees: Automation & Transparency
Session 8: Empowering employees: Culture & Ownership; Course Wrap-up
This course will:
- Encourage and equip students to make meaningful and practical connections between faith and the practice of business.
- Develop a Christian theological framework for business and its implications for employee practices.
- Provide practical examples of how faith-based values can be expressed in business.
- Integrate and synthesize business experience and theological concepts.
- Provide opportunities for self-reflection, discussion and the development of practical action plans.
Each week’s module will “unlock” on Monday morning at 3:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.
Students should complete each week’s module by the following Sunday evening at midnight Pacific Standard Time. Each module should take 60-90 minutes to complete. Students taking the course for certificate credit will be responsible for additional material and have additional assignments to complete which will be listed in the syllabus.
- Each weekly module will include the following resources:
- Instructor Notes—Indicating the order of engagement, questions to discuss, and assignments.
- “Stories” (4-9 minutes each in length)
- “Expert Reflections” by business leaders and subject matter experts (1-6 minutes in length)
- 1-2 short articles or chapters
- Interaction/ Community Discussion
- 2-3 discussion questions in a forum format
- A reflection on how one’s own beliefs can/should shape one’s employee practices