We know the importance of students being able to quickly recall addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts but often resort back to ineffective methods such as timed tests and worksheets. Fortunately, there is a better way! Learn the three phases of math fact fluency and how you can help your students move through them. In this class, you will learn how to help your students build lasting number sense through new activities/games and meaningful strategies that you can start using right away! The text No More Math Fact Frenzy by Davenport et al is required. Grades K-5.
Through reading “No More Math Fact Frenzy" students will do an in-depth study of why current math fact practices practices often aren’t meeting the needs of students and teachers. By the end of the course students will know:
- Why it’s important students know math facts with Automaticity.
- What research tells us about why many of the current practices are not working for teachers, students and families.
- The three phases for learning math facts and how to use this information to help students
- Effective math fact games, activities, strategies.
- Quality online resources available to help them.