Course DescriptionThis class delivers immediate answers to the most serious concerns that children and youth can present in school, at home and in the community. This course has hundreds of powerful, innovative, problem-solving interventions that can be used right away to prevent or manage children and adolescents’ school, emotional, social and behavioral problems. These more effective strategies are updated, practical ways to turnaround Pre-K to Grade 12 students who are unmotivated, aggressive, depressed, emotionally disturbed, misbehaved, delinquent, have ADHD, are bullies, have Asperger’s, or are withdrawn. These methods are designed to work when conventional approaches fail.
- Introduction: Participants identify their most serious and persistent student Coping, School and Social Skills problems. Participants will observe participants interacting with the instructor and will hear a letter from a troubled student. Displays of resource learning materials are also examined and the course outline presented.
- Overview: Sample strategies from Coping, School and Social Skills segments are offered, and the workshop framework and context is provided.
- Coping Skills: Participants will learn approximately 65 innovative, more effective Coping Skills strategies, and review the origins of emotional concerns in juveniles. A special focus is offered on bullying, school violence, defiance, family problems, diagnostic categories and common child and adolescent mental health issues.
- School Skills: Participants will learn approximately 65 innovative, more effective School Skills strategies for problems like work refusal, tardiness, disruption, absenteeism, underperforming, poor motivation, poor attitudes, discouragement and special education students. Work refusal and motivation are extensively covered.
- Social Skills: Participants will learn approximately 65 innovative, more effective Social Skills strategies for problems like peer conflict, hygiene issues, victimization, cliques, peer interaction, compliance with authority, community readiness, conversation skills and personal space and distance. A special focus is offered on serious misconduct and social dysfunction.
- Wrap: Participants are assisted to organize and utilize the information presented
- throughout the workshop.